Attorneys at Law

Be Informed.

Be informed.

How Do I Get My Property Re-Zoned in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania?

When it comes to the desirability of real estate, the mantra “location, location, location” speaks volumes. But what should you do if the current zoning classification of the perfect location won’t permit you to operate the type of business you own? Or, what if you already own property and decide you want to change its usage, but the current zoning will not allow the change you envision? You may have to try to get the property re-zoned, which leads to the question “How do I get my property re-zoned in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania?”

Local zoning regulations determine how a piece of real estate may be used. Real estate is typically broadly categorized into several different types of zoning, including agricultural, industrial, commercial, and residential. Within those categories, all property is further sub-divided according to the allowable uses for the property. A property owner must conform to the zoning restrictions for the property. For example, a property that is zoned for residential use cannot be used for a business, and a property zoned as commercial property cannot be used for industrial purposes. Zoning restrictions also determine things such as what type of signs you may erect on the property and how many parking spaces you are required to have for your business. If you wish to do something with your property that is currently forbidden by the property’s zoning classification, you typically have two options: apply for a variance or apply to re-zone the property. A variance is usually best for small changes to the existing regulations, such as allowing you to build an extra foot closer to the property line than the current zoning regulation allows. If you want to completely change how the property can be used, however, you will usually have to re-zone the property.

To apply for a re-zoning in Conshohocken, you must submit a complete application to the Borough Council. The application must include complex maps showing current and proposed zoning, photographs of the area in question, a detailed site plan, and a statement of intent and circumstances leading to the requested re-zoning, as well as information regarding the market area to be served by the proposed changes. Abutting property owners will be notified directly of the application. In addition, the public at large will be notified by notices placed on the property in question. Eventually, a public hearing will be held to discuss the requested re-zoning. At the hearing, both members of the Council and the public can ask questions and speak out for, or against, the proposed change. Ultimately, the Council will take a vote to decide whether or not to approve the application.

Zoning issues in general can be complicated both procedurally and substantively. If you foresee the need to re-zone property in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, you should consult with an experienced real estate law attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options. Contact the real estate law attorneys at Curley & Rothman, LLC by calling 610-834-8819 today to schedule your free consultation.